March 24, 2010

Define Positive

How to Stay Positive in a “Challenging” World

When I started this email to my wife in December of 2008, I knew that I needed to be focused on the positive things in my life, and my world. Many things have occurred since that time. I could talk about the DOW being on an 18 month high, or that our phones are ringing more, but I am not.

Last week I wrote about my niece having to have emergency brain surgery. There was a real concern as to whether she would even make through the surgery, then the concern was will she make it through the next 24 hours. I know and realize that we all are living our lives each day, but the outpouring I have seen of support is truly mind blowing. Hundreds of people from not just our small community, but from all over the world have expressed concern, interest, prayers, visitation, meals, gifts, posters, cards, flowers, text messages, emails… I have, like you, I am sure, have read about or heard about this type of support, but to experience it, and watch it unfold is really what is positive about all of us. We, as people truly care. When times are tough, we as a people band together to help each other. There is no formal process to do this, it just happens.

The update on Kenzie Rae Curran is as follows:
Monday the nurse asked her to hold up two fingers, which she did. Then the nurse asked her to see if she could put a glove on all 5 fingers, which she did.
Tuesday the speech therapist tried to get her to swallow, and Kenzie took the spoon away from her, and did it herself. She then wanted to stand up, and the nurses did not if they should let her, so her father leaned in and said “give me a hug”, which she did! She is making great progress and is ahead of schedule. She should be moved later this week out of ICU. Keep her in your prayers, and in your heart, and thank you to all of you for reaching out and letting us know that you care.

No comments:

Post a Comment