January 12, 2010

Learning Can Take All Forms

I, like many of you watch TV shows, enjoy them, talk about them, but have never gone any further than programming the next recording. Tonight, I decided to send an email. I have pasted it here as my first post:

Tabitha,

I caught the flu over the Christmas holidays, so stuck at home with nothing to do but watch TV. I enjoy several shows on the Bravo channel and saw your commercial for your Salon Takeover. After one show I was hooked. I have recorded them all, and can’t wait to watch another.

I am sure you get complimented all of the time, but the greatest value and the skill I enjoy most is you demonstrating what being a “boss”, being a “manager”, being a “leader” is all about. You are tough, but fair. You enjoy fun, and can make money at the same time. Above all, you want to serve the customer! What you let us see in your show, is all about running a business, not just a salon business, but any small business.

I started my business in 1988, and I have had my share of successes and failures. I have also been burnt out, and have found my passion again. Your show has sparked a new kind of motivation, and I just wanted to thank you. Many years ago I read a book entitled The E-Myth. There are many truths in this book, but one phrase comes to mind as I write this, “The worst thing an entrepreneur has, is they don’t have a boss. They don’t have accountability to anyone.” Tabitha, that is what you provide, you demonstrate it, and you teach it. I think your show should be watched, just watched by any small business, to teach each of us how to be…

One last thing, thank you for giving back to your industry. Start grooming your replacement now, it will take years to get them up to speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment